We spent the summer of 2016 touring Iceland. Now we're writing a guidebook to tell you exactly what you want to know:

How to take the whole family abroad and survive the process unscathed.

Sample 1 week Iceland trip with kids

Home Forums Iceland with Kids Discussion Forum Sample 1 week Iceland trip with kids

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eric 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Eric
    Keymaster

A web site visitor asked for a one week touring plan with a small child. Here is a sample itinerary, with minimal driving. This won’t take you more than about 2 hours from Reykjavik.

Day 1:

Option 1: Reykjanes Geopark. This will get you to some amazing sites on your first day.

Option 2:
    Reykjavik. Relax, walk around if you’re not exhausted from the flight. Take a nap early if needed, or try to stay up until 6 PM and then crash. Consider the Laugardalur area: Reykjavik Family Park and Zoo, Ásmundur Sveinsson Sculpture Museum, Laugardalslaug thermal pool. Those are all just a couple minutes drive from each other, but it’s about 10 minutes away from the main downtown harbor area.

Stay in Reykjavik.

Day 2: Golden Circle. See what sounds good from our Golden Circle with kids post.

Day 3: Westman Islands. This is an unusual recommendation, but I loved the Westman Islands. I think the 35 minute ferry ride is a great adventure for kids. This can be a day trip, or you can stay overnight.

See my Westman Islands with kids guest post.

Be sure to visit the aquarium to meet and pet the puffin. Or consider the bus tour with Eyja tours, which includes a visit to the aquarium.

Day 4: Head east toward Vik. Seljalandsfoss waterfall, Skogafoss waterfall (both right off of Ring Road), Reynisfjara and Dyrhólaey. Stay in or around Vik.

Read up on the “sneaker waves” at Reynisfjara!

Day 5: Drive back. See The Icelandic Horse Center, and Kerið crater if you missed it on the Golden Circle. Stay in Reykjavik.

Day 6: Reykjavik harbor area. Do a Whale Watching trip. (See our tips for whale watching in Iceland.) Visit the Whales of Iceland museum beforehand. (Be sure to consider the family ticket!) Icelandic Fish and Chips for dinner; explore the little Volcano House attached to it. Maybe a hot dog at the hot dog stand.

Day 7: Visit the Blue Lagoon in Grindavik.

If you have time, see Keflavik (the town near the airport). Visit the Viking Museum, and the settlement zoo next door.
    And check out the Keflavik harbor area, including the Gaintess in the mountain and the sculpture by the water.

Then back to the airport- it’s only about 10 minutes away from these parts of Keflavik.

Let me know what you think, or if you have questions!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Eric. Reason: Fakasel is closed
    • This topic was modified 1 week ago by  Eric.

robinmarie
    Participant

I am just getting through all of your posts and so grateful – we are headed to Iceland for 8 days the first of September with a 4 year old and almost 2 year old. We plan to stay in an area near Reykjavik for the majority of the time and I was considering staying near Vik for the other part. Do you recommend any specific areas near Reykjavik to stay? We plan to do an Air B&B. Also, do you think Vik is a good second place to stay and how many nights do you think would be good there?

Eric
    Keymaster

Hi- thanks for reading! I do think that Vik is a good home base for the south coast. It’s very close to Reynisfjara and Dyrhólaey. I would stay for 2 nights? But mostly I like having a night where the whole family didn’t have to unpack ad repack!

You could also stay further east if you wanted to, closer to Kirkjubæjarklaustur. That may make more sense if you wanted to head out to Fjallsárlón and Jökulsárlón glacier lagoons.

Unfortunately, sometimes the answer for where to stay on the south coast is “wherever you can find a place.” September should be better than the summer, but your south coast house should be one of the first things you book.

Good luck, and have fun!

Eric
    Keymaster

I updated the Day 5 link to Fakasel, the Icelandic Horse Park. Fakasel appears to be out of business. See our new post about Icelandic horses.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.